Plush Elephant (PTY) Ltd was born in 2018. We produce sensory hampers and individual sensory items which seek to stimulate the five senses.
Our tactile sensory hampers are a collection of handmade items which include the following:
- Aromatherapy playdough (lavender, eucalyptus and aloe)
- Playdough (bubblegum and cotton candy)
- Ice cream and sprinkles flavoured Oobleck
- Kinetic sand
- Scented slime
- Multicoloured scented playsand
- Multicoloured scented rice
- Water beads/ orbeez
- Water bead stress balloon
- Mini slinky
- Stretchy worm
Please note there will be NO products sold by exhibitors at our walk. Exhibitors are there to help the community to understand autism (especially when it comes to our theme this year – Play!). Amber – found of Plush Elephant (PTY) Ltd – has experience with teaching autistic children so will be able to give valuable advice on play and sensory issues. Go check out her stand after the walk for tips on sensory play & get more information on her products!
The only items for sale on the day will be food & beverages provided by our various vendors.
- How is that you are involved with autism in Jozi?
- How can we as a community in Jozi make play more inclusive for autists?
- Government need to be much more involved in special needs. State early intervention centres which facilitate early intervention services should be available at minimal or no cost to the family. State special education services should also be provided after early intervention at no cost.
- NPO’S could raise funds towards the building of sensory gyms, inclusive parks and play groups.
- Training and resources need to be available and easily accessible to service providers such as play facilitators.
- Sensory boxes can be compiled and donated to underprivileged special needs schools.
- What has worked for you & your organisation to facilitate play in autism?
My professional teaching experience began while working at an Early Intervention Centre for Autism where I gained my BCAT credential as a Board Certified Behaviour Technician, Certified by the Behavioural Intervention Certification Council in the United States.
I have also worked with adults on the spectrum where I facilitated a day program with the aim of promoting meaningful activities and interaction.
My experience does not only stem from working with autistic children and adults but have also has also catered to the special needs of Downs Syndrome, C.P, Visual and Hearing Impairment, Neurological delays, Sensory Integration difficulties, Developmental delays and Physical disabilities.
Working in the special needs environment had inspired me to develop my own sensory brand which aims to assist in the development of sensory processing.
Plush Elephant (PTY) ltd. produces sensory hampers which contain a collection of sensory items which stimulate the five senses.
These sensory items have been chosen to provide the particular sensory input that many special needs children crave. Whether it is visual or tactile, the toys have the power to capture our kids’ attention, making the right sensory toy a powerful reinforcer (reward) in applied behavioral analysis (ABA) programs.
Some sensory toys are also excellent fidget toys and can improve concentration and focus in children with ADHD and others who need to keep their hands busy to listen and attend.
Plush Elephant – Amber Van Heerden
C: +27 (0) 81 475 6614